It’s not anyone’s favorite topic, but a pretty important one for the elderly–the bathroom. It’s a high risk room in the house due to wet surfaces and the amount of sitting to standing that takes place. In fact, ages 75 through 85 are twice as likely to fall as younger ages. Even worse, that number doubles after age 85.
So, what can you do to minimize risk? Preventative safety measures are the most effective way to stifle falls before they happen. I’ve picked my favorite and most sought out bathroom accessories that are both safe and convenient.
Want to skip ahead? Click in the Table of Contents to get where you need to go.
- 1 American Standard Walk-In Bathtub with Whirlpool Massage system
- 2 Ella Monaco Acrylic Bathtub
- 3 Ariel EZWT-3060 Walk-In-Bathtub
- 4 Homecraft Savanah Raised Toilet Seat
- 5 Stand Alone Toilet Rail by Vive
- 6 Toilet Support Medical Safety Toilet Grab Bar
- 7 Tub Transfer Bench by Vive
- 8 Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench
- 9 Harmony 24″ Teak Eastern Style Shower Bench with Shelf and Arms
- 10 Shower Chair with Back by Vive
- 11 Deliao Elderly Handheld Shower Head
- 12 In Conclusion
The American Standard Walk-In Bathtub is an excellent choice for a walk-in bath system. I love that it has whirlpool massage. That’s a huge selling factor for me, but should be even more so for you. It’s a luxury and therapy all in one that shouldn’t go overlooked. Let’s walk through the good and bad of this walk-in tub.
- 10 year warranty
- 5 year for components, 10 for the tub
- 3 handles
- Easy in and out no matter how you are sitting
- 6 whirlpool jets
- Gentle massage for aches and pains
- No need to worry about cleaning jets
- In-line heater
- Stay warm and cozy in your bath as long as you like
- Might not be affordable for everyone
- Need to get installed
- No shower component
- Could easily add, but at an extra cost
This is one of my favorite items for a bathroom. Having a walk-in bathtub system is such a HUGE relief for those using it, and the ones who would worry otherwise. It’s proven to decrease falls while maintaining independence.
When I worked in home health, there were a lot of patients (women especially) who were desperate to take a nice long bath again. Often times, doctors will recommend against this due to hip issues and the struggle of getting in and out of a tub.
Getting a walk-in bathtub lowers that risk. It also is great for soothing muscles and stiff joints. The Ella Monaco Acrylic Bathtub does not disappoint.
- Anti-leak 3 Latch Door System
- Lifetime limited guarantee for no leaks
- 13 Total Jets
- Relaxation to the maximum
- Fast Drain
- Easy to get out quickly
- Modern Design
- Fits in with most bathrooms
- Heated Seat
- Keeps you warmer longer with no acclimation period
- Bacteria and Mold Resistant
- Easy to clean
- Standard Dimensions
- 32″ x 52″ x 43″
- Certain budgets won’t allow for it
- Extra Electrical Requirements
- For heated seats and jets
- Must hire out
The Ella Monaco Acrylic Bathtub is an excellent choice for a walk-in tub unit. I really like all of the comfort features. If you can overlook the price, I would say there isn’t another reason not to purchase it.
There is something about taking a warm bath that soothes you all the way down to your bones. The Ariel EZWT-3060 Walk-In-Bathtub can help facilitate that for you. This is an excellent gift or suggestion for the elderly. They can keep their independence, keep up with hygiene, and keep a luxury that otherwise may be taken away.
- More Affordable
- Less expensive than the previous walk-in-tubs mentioned
- Heavy Duty
- Reinforced fiberglass and high gloss coating
- Built-In Safety Grab Bar
- Saves you the cost of doing it later
- Steel Support Frame
- Free standing with adjustable feet
- Whirlpool Experience
- 6 jets and 18 air jets for ultimate relaxation
- Inline Heating
- Keeps your bath warmer longer promoting a therapeutic bath
- Installation Required
- Extra service and cost
- Electrical Requirements
- More complicated than regular shower unit installation
The Ariel EZWT-3060 Walk-In-Bathtub has a lot of amenities for a great price. Between the multiple jets for total body massage and inline heating, there is something for everyone to love. It’s pretty hard to find any flaws with this one. The only complaint I could find was the requirement of installation. Even so, what shower unit doesn’t have to get installed?
Getting up and down is no easy feat if you have arthritis or mobility issues. Having a raised toilet seat can really help alleviate discomfort and safety hazards. The Homecraft Savanah Raised Toilet Seat is a favorite of mine for several reasons.
- Varying Heights Available
- 2″-5 1/4″ models
- Locks in Tight
- Fits standard toilets easily
- Downward Slope
- For getting on and off easier
- Easy to Take Off
- Sharing a bathroom? Brackets are easy to snap on and off
- Lid Available
- Nice for cosmetic purposes
- Difficult with Dementia or Alzheimer’s Patients
- In my experience, these type of patients can get confused by toilet seat covers and refuse use.
- Installation Required
- Must be able to use brackets
- Unpleasant for Non-Users
- Taking the seat on and off can be an annoying task
The Homecraft Savanah Raised Toilet Seat is an easy way to increase safety and convenience in the bathroom. It’s a low cost solution for peace of mind. With multiple sizes available, you are sure to find the right fit for you or your loved one.
Stability and safety go hand in hand with the Stand Alone Toilet Rail by Vive. A toilet rail makes it exponentially easier to get up and down off the toilet. It can be used in combination with a raised toilet seat or without depending on the height and disability level of the individual.
- Supports up to 300 Pounds
- Ideal for most people
- Prevents Slips and Falls
- Peace of mind
- Easy to Assemble
- No tools required, quick assembly
- Non-Slip Handles
- Even more safety measures
- Lifetime Guarantee
- A one time purchase for a low price
- Must Use Two Hands
- Grabbing only one rail may lead to instability
- Stand Alone Not For Everyone
- Moving it in and out can be troublesome for some people
- Assembly Required
- Even thought no tools are required, it still has to be put together
The Stand Alone Toilet Rail by Vive is a simple way to get safety and security in the bathroom without all the frustration of installation. Just simply set it up and place it in the bathroom. Another feature I really like about it is the ability to move it away from the toilet for guests or other household members.
I love this grab bar. It is adaptable, safe, and convenient. It also has the added bonus of being able to fit into any bathroom no matter how formal or informal.
- Fold-able Design
- Easy to fold away when not needed
- Non-slip Handle
- Grippy surface makes sure you don’t fall
- Easy to Use
- Flip open to use and grab on
- Quick Set Up
- Easy to install
- Saves Space
- Simply fold away when not in use
- High Quality
- Heavy duty and nice material
- Fold Away and Open Back Up
- I know this is on my Pro list but hear me out. I just have an issue with it being fold-able and the potential for weak patients not being able to use it well.
- Have to Install
- Always a Con but most of the time unavoidable, you have to install it yourself. I think a neighbor, friend, or loved one could probably do it in about 20 minutes, but there is the added nuisance.
This grab bar is one of my favorite bathroom accessories. It really feels like a hospital grade product made for the home which is what I am all about. Between it’s heavy duty construction and it’s awesome adaptability, it really can fit in almost anyone’s home.
Transferring in and out of the shower or tub can be a very dangerous ordeal. Using a tub transfer bench is really helpful in preventing slips, falls, and extra strain. The Tub Transfer Bench by Vive is of excellent quality and is easy to use.
- Supports up to 300 lbs.
- Can use for almost everyone
- No Tools Required for Assembly
- Easy to put together
- Works with Most Tubs and Showers
- No need to take measurements or have ill fitted equipment
- Heavy Duty Material
- Won’t corrode and stands up to wear and tear
- Safe and Effective
- Non-slip surfaces, drainage holes, and capped feet help prevent hazardous situations
- Must put together inside bathroom
- Claims of it being too big to fit through bathroom door
- Directions are vague
- Easier to put together if you watch youtube instructions
- Water leaking with shower curtain
- Works better if someone can take it out when showering
The Tub Transfer Bench by Vive is a great choice for a transfer bench. I like the ability to fit most shower and tub units. It leaves the guess work out of finding the right bench. Overall, it is a good quality bench and will work with almost everyone.
This is a transfer bench that will definitely not disappoint. The Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench has outstanding reviews for a very good reason. It is safe, comfortable, and WARM. That is a hard act to follow.
- Medical Grade Padding
- Way more comfortable than hard plastic and sterile too
- Used in Nursing Homes
- High quality and durable
- 5 Minute or Less Assembly
- So easy to use
- Safety, safety, safety
- Swivel and sliding is a lot safer than trying to shuffle or be lifted
- Easy to Clean
- Non-absorbent padding makes it really easy to clean while still maintaining comfort
- Button Location
- Button to swivel and slide is located between legs
- Weight Capacity vs. Comfort
- Can feel tight or too small for over 6 foot tall or over 200 pounds
I love the Carousel Sliding transfer bench. It has so many amazing features that you cannot find in other benches. The swivel and slide is excellent, but the medical grade padding is what sets it over the top for me. You really can’t go wrong with this bench.
Who says your bathroom accessories have to be utilitarian? The Harmony Teak Eastern Style Shower Bench is a beautiful addition to any bathroom. Shoot! I want this in my bathroom. While it is more ideal for those with temporary disabilities or slight balance or strength issues, it is still a great little bench.
- This one doesn’t need an explanation!
- Great for resting or those too weak to stand up in a shower
- Adjustable Height
- Can move the leg eight up and down to your desired level
- Liftaide Arms
- Easy up and down
- Not Medical Grade
- Not quite at the durability level of a hospital’s shower bench
- Lends itself to being less durable and stable
- Harder to keep extra clean
The Harmony Teak Eastern Style Shower Bench is not for every user reading this. It’s great for a temporary fix or those who are experiencing some weakness and some disability. I would NOT recommend for someone that needs a lot of help.
Having a back to a chair in the shower can be a huge relief for both safety and comfort with some patients. It just feels more supportive. I also like the idea of giving more independence and privacy back to user. If you can sit in a chair unattended. You can probably shower unattended with the shower chair with a back by Vive.
- It has a back
- Duh. I know, but it really is a big PRO!
- Although it is easy to wipe down, it has non slip handles and a seat to prevent falls
- Easy Assembly
- Easy to put together and even take apart if traveling
- Adjust the height of the legs and arm rests for a quality fit
- Drainage Seat
- Allows for better sanitation practices and no more pooling of water
- Corrosion free aluminum so you don’t have to worry about rust. Buy one and done.
- It has a back
- Isn’t that why I liked it? Yes, but not everyone is thrilled about having an entire chair in their shower. Plus, it can make cleaning the patient or yourself more challenging.
- Assembly Required
- Easy assembly, but still effort that if you are disabled or weak you may struggle with.
- Comfort Level
- While it does boast it is a comfortable seat, I don’t think that any hard plastic can be incredibly comfortable.
The shower chair with a back by Vive is a great option for those looking for more stability and comfort in the shower. It really is great for adding some more independence for those stable enough to be left alone in a chair. I like it for it’s durability and easy clean surfaces as well.
I love this shower head. I am actually contemplating putting this in my own shower. It has so many really useful features that make me feel confident in it’s ability to function really well for the elderly, disabled, and anyone else.
- Push Button Control
- Easy to use with your thumb from pausing to adjusting water pressure
- Light Weight
- Makes it great for those who are weak or disabled
- Well Made
- Works really well and made of sturdy materials
- Safety Strap
- Results in dropping it less and having accidents
- Boosts ability to bathe yourself or a loved one
- Suction Cup Holder Weak
- May require additional adjustments or tweaking
- Needs Longer Hose
- I think the hose length is OK, but a longer one would definitely not be frowned upon.
- Water Drips when in Pause
- It doesn’t completely turn off when you hit the pause button. I don’t see this as a major issue but it can be annoying.
The Deliao Elderly Handheld Shower Head is a great addition to a bathroom. It can help increase independence buy promoting self-bathing. It also makes it easier to bathe in your own home. This allows you to stay in your home longer which is the end goal here.
All of these bathroom accessories or tubs would be a great addition to your bathroom. The safety risks that are present in bathrooms are astronomical. I remember bathroom trips for just toileting to full on baths being a stressful time when helping the elderly.
Including these products in your bathroom will help alleviate some of that stress while creating independence for you or your loved one. Grab one or all of them today and see what a difference these tools can make.