1 in 15 Americans have sleep apnea and CPAP machines are the top therapy to treat it. When most people think of CPAP masks, they think of a Darth Vader type apparel. Rest assured, there have been significant advancements to make them more comfortable, less bulky, and allow you to get better sleep. Continue reading “The 8 Best CPAP Masks of 2018”
Assisting devices can make all the difference for the elderly or disabled to stay comfortable in their own home. From heavy duty Hoyer lifts to water bottle openers, I have you covered. Check out my take on these unique and trusty assistive devices.
Jump to where you want to go in the Table of Contents.
Finally, an assistive dining room chair that can fit in with your decor. The Royal EZ Series Assistive Chair is perfect to saddle up to your dining room table or anywhere else you might need one in your house.
- No surprises here. Beautifully crafted and designed
- Moves Easily
- Slides effortlessly across the floor
- Locks in Place
- Prevents accidents
- Lifts up and Down
- Makes getting in and out of the chair a breeze
- 18 inch padded seat provides a comfortable seating experience
- No Arms
- Fall risk if patient isn’t very stable
- The style of this chair makes it spendy
- Find Matching Table
- Could be a challenge
Feeling part of the family includes eating with them. If you have to sit in a wheelchair at the table, it can be frustrating and make you stand out. This chair allows you to get up and down and move around while maintaining a quiet grace.
This product is SO great. I love the GYENNO Steady Spoon for a whole host of reasons. If you have Parkinson’s or tremors, this is an excellent utensil. It actually works with your tremor to stabilize the spoon so you can eat on your own. What a relief!
- Self Feed Again
- This is a big selling point!
- Electronically Stabilizes
- The spoon actually works with your tremor to stabilize the spoon
- Non-Slip Grip
- Won’t slip out of your hand easily
- Light Weight
- Not tiresome to hold
- Easy To Use
- Charge and go
- Close to $200
- Hand Vibration Range
- Only works well for those with hand vibration amplitude within 7 cm
- Have to Charge
- Extra work to charge up but lasts 180 minutes
As you can see, this is a great resource for those with a tremor. I also would highly recommend the fork attachment and this Scoop Plate. Achieve eating by yourself again with the GYENNO Steady Spoon.
The Mobile Commode Chair is an excellent alternative to buying assistive devices for both the toilet and shower. This chair rolls right over the top of your toilet seat so you don’t even have to get up. It even can be a great shower chair!
- High Back
- Easy to Transport
- Allows for getting in and out of the bathroom easier
- Seat has enough give to enjoy a lengthy shower
- Designed by Orthopedic Surgeon
- Created with both ergonomics and safety in mind
- Heavy Duty
- Isn’t going to rust or fall apart on you
- Easily push right into a walk in shower
- Close to $500
- Extra Chair
- Another piece of equipment in the house
The Mobile Commode Chair is an excellent choice for toileting and showering. It has all the benefits of a wheelchair while allowing you to complete your bathroom activities.
Let’s get really honest right now. Raise your hand if someone you know cranks up the TV so loud you can’t hear yourself think? It is way more common than you might think! The Simolio Wireless TV Hearing Devices are a cure for excessive TV volume in your home.
- Transmits Sound
- Crystal clear sound right in your ears
- Flexible to fit any head shape
- Works with most TVs
- Just plug in the receiver base to your TV’s audio
- Others can hear normal TV volume
- Everyone else hears the normal TV volume while you enjoy a comfortable volume, too
- Another Gadget
- Can be overwhelming if you have too many technology devices already in the living room
- Set Up
- Will probably need someone to set up for them as is technology device
What a simple solution to an aggravating issue! The Simolio Wireless TV Hearing Devices are an excellent way to gain some order back into your living room. Everyone comes out happy with this one.
Getting up out of bed in the morning is one of the hardest things for the elderly or disabled to do. Your joints are still, you aren’t nearly as flexible as you are at the end of the day. Plus, you are probably tired! The Medical Adjustable Bed Assist Rail Handle is another device that helps you get on your way that much easier.
- No Tools Required
- Quick and easy assembly
- Holds up to 250 pounds
- Helps Prevent Falls
- Provides stability to get in and out of bed
- Gain Independence
- Get out of bed on your own time
- Adjustable Height
- Fits most bed frames/mattresses
- Easy Set Up
- Just slide under your mattress and you are set
- Max Weight 250 pounds
- If over this weight, will need a different rail
- Can Be in the Way
- Hard to get used to having something attached to your bed
The Medical Adjustable Bed Assist Rail is an expensive solution to getting in and out of bed. It is easy to put together and even easier to use. Anyone that has stability issues should have this in their bedroom.
The couch is a place of comfort. Not only should it be comfortable but feel safe. The Able Life Universal Stand Assist allows you to come and go as you please on your couch.
- Fits in nicely with your home decor
- Gripped handles make it safe and comfortable
- Prevents falls by aiding in sitting and standing
- Just slide under couch or chair cushion
- For both chairs and couches; adjustable
- Not for use on Lift Chairs
- Bummer on this one, but not safe to do so
- Not for Really Unstable Patients
- It’s not very tall so can’t really aide you if you don’t have some balance and strength
The Able Life Universal Stand Assist is the perfect assistive device for your living room. Whether it be for your chair or your couch, it will fit your comfortable spot in the house. Enjoy getting up and down on your own with ease.
Reading is one of life’s greatest joys. When it gets too difficult to see to read, it can be frustrating and a serious loss of independence. Enter the Koolertron 5.0 inch Handheld Portable Video Digital Magnifier. Instead of holding a giant magnifying glass, grab this little guy. Smoothly read whatever text you like.
- Magnifies from 4 to 32x
- Morning newspaper to fine print on labeling
- Easy to Hold
- Small and lightweight
- Battery Lasts up to 4 Hours
- Enjoy long periods of time reading
- Can Connect to HDTV
- Magnify even further
- HD Resolution
- Clear as a bell
- Have to Hold to Read
- Can be tiresome even though it is lightweight
- Price Point
- More expensive than a magnifying glass
- Have to Recharge Batteries
- Lasts 4 hours and then have to charge up again
The Koolertron 5.0 inch Handheld Portable Video Digital Magnifier is a beautiful piece of technology. It’s easy to use and allows the user to regain the ability to read whatever they like. It’s not Saturday morning if you can’t read the newspaper.
The Aqua EazyHold Adaptive Utensil is a universal tool to make life easier. From brushing your teeth to eating dinner, the Aqua EazyHold will help you hold what you are using to gain it’s maximum benefit.
- 2 pack for less than $20
- Can use with handheld devices, cups, toothbrushes, etc.
- Gain Independence
- Enjoy doing ADL’s on your own again
- Dishwasher Safe
- Easy to clean
- One Size Fits All
- Could be too snug or too loose
- Not Specialized
- Isn’t specialized for each task so may not be as effective
The Aqua EazyHold Adaptive Untensil is an inexpensive way to get more independence back into your life. You an eat, drink, and groom yourself with this handy little device.
The McKesson Hoyer Lift is one of the best choices on the market right now. I like the Hoyer Lift because I feel it is less stressful on the patient and caregiver when heavy lifting is required.
- Battery Powered
- No large chords laying around
- 450 lb Max Weight
- Will work for most people
- Comfortable grips and eases back pressure
- Well Made
- Steel frame
- Reverse Mounted
- Allows for freer leg movement
- Expensive but it’s a large piece of technology
- Large Machinery
- Finding a place to put it and having enough room to use it can be an issue
- Must have caregiver present
- Need help operating
The McKesson Hoyer Lift is a highly rated and well thought-out machine. If you decide to move forward with purchasing it, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Invacare Compatible Mesh Full Body Sling as well. These two combined will have you lifting your loved one or patient with ease.
All of these products are a step closer to achieving maximum independence. That picture looks different for everyone. Whether you just need a little extra oomf or a full Hoyer lift, there are assistive devices available to you.
It’s not anyone’s favorite topic, but a pretty important one for the elderly–the bathroom. It’s a high risk room in the house due to wet surfaces and the amount of sitting to standing that takes place. In fact, ages 75 through 85 are twice as likely to fall as younger ages. Even worse, that number doubles after age 85. Continue reading “Bathroom Accessories & Tubs for the Elderly”
Smart watches have been advertised for the young or semi-young since they hit the market. However, I think they are an excellent, if not essential, item for the elderly or disabled to own. Smart watches have unique beneficial features for the elderly and disabled that I feel should be seriously considered as a staple in their homes. Continue reading “A Smart Watch and the Elderly– Two Peas in a Pod”
Lift chairs and recliners have been reinvented beyond our wildest dreams. What once was a simple lazy boy, now offers heat and massage. A power lift chair offers you the independence and comfort you need and deserve. With a push of a button you get an assist from a horizontal position all the way to standing. Get your balance and take off confident again with a power lift chair. Continue reading “Lift, Recline, and Relax with the 10 BEST Recliner and Power Lift Chairs of This Year”
While the title may be a little dramatic, it’s closer to reality than you may think. There is a serious issue on the horizon on care for the elderly and disabled. That is only going to intensify as time goes on. Why is this happening?
Continue reading “No Vacancy– Elderly Healthcare Demand Sores”
For my final BEST WALKER pick, the 3 Wheel Trio Roller Walker! While it comes in at #10, it made the final cut on my heavy hitter list. There are thousands of walkers out there. Why settle for anything less than the best? Continue reading “The 3 Wheel Trio Roller Walker Review”
Another hefty walker for my #9 pick! The Medline Empower Rollator really does what it says on the box, empower you. You can use it as a walker or wheelchair which makes it versatile and economic. I like that it allows you to take control of your life again! Continue reading “The Medline Empower Rollator Review”
The Invacare Corporation Bariatric Rollator is my #8 pick for best walker. It’s made specifically for the obese patient. While some of my walkers ranked previously are hefty, this one is for the extremes. Read more on why I like the Invacare Corporation Bariatric Rollator so much!
Continue reading “The INVACARE CORPORATION Bariatric Rollator Review”
If you are looking for a hefty walker, you’ve made the right stop. I love how much of a beast the Comodita Spazio Extra Wide Heavy-Duty Walker is! From a ridiculously strong frame to a elegant design, it really is a work of art. Continue reading “The Comodità Spazio Extra Wide Heavy-Duty Walker Review”
Are you an adventurer? Needing a walker to help you get around doesn’t eliminate your sense of adventure nor your ability to go out and explore! The HealthLine Combo Transport Rollator Chair is an awesome choice for those of you that want to get out and explore. Continue reading “The HealthLine Combo Transport Rollator Chair Review”